Happy Saturday nerds!!! Boy, does it feel good to be back! I know I’ve been a bit MIA lately – thanks to a birthday weekend that didn’t quite go as planned, some intense binge watches of A Chef’s Table (you can blame the Mysterious Mr. C for that), and AwesomeCon last weekend – but I’m feeling reinvigorated and re-inspired once again.
Yet even though I wasn’t actively posting, I was still compiling some fun links, so you may have already seen a few of these stories. If so, I hope they still bring a smile to your face. And if not, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
1. Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson, once known for being a two-time European strongman winner and the hulking “Mountain” on Game of Thrones, is now known for having the world’s FLOOFIEST puppy!! His name is Asterix and he is a 5-month-old Pomeranian. As my parents can attest, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Pomeranians, but Asterix really is adorable and the discrepancy in sizes between him and Björnsson is half of the fun.
Like most celebrity pets these days, Asterix has his own Instagram account (full disclosure, I’m a follower) and the pictures and captions always make my day. As such, I highly recommend that you check him out!
2. After reading a bunch of comments from people who wished that this Solar Orbit Necklace from ThinkGeek came in a steel or sterling silver option, as opposed to nickel, I was a little hesitant to share it, but I think that it is such a cool concept, that I decided to include it anyway!
The stylish neckpiece includes the Sun and all of the planets (for you 1980s kids like me, YES, that means Pluto too!), as well as Earth’s Moon and the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. There’s even a little star-shaped comet-like charm on the extender. The monkeys at ThinkGeek readily admit that the beads are not to scale, but note that: “We wanted you to be able to lift your head despite the asteroids in the belt being visible. We think that’s a fair trade-off.” I, for one, agree!
3. I can’t exactly remember how I learned about Litographs this week, but since I’m constantly working to add more geekynerdy wear to my wardrobe, I am so glad that I did! The company sells posters, t-shirts, and tote bags using the text from popular books and movies to create a design that invokes the essence of the story. The results are subtle nods to a wide array of fandoms.
Personally, it’s hard to pick a favorite option, but since C and I are both professional editors, I love the idea of the Elements of Style tote bag, and I think the Count of Monte Cristo t-shirt is just cool looking. I’d love to know though, which ones do you like best?!
4. While I have long known that Captain America is C’s favorite Avenger, it’s become clearer to me over the past year that he’s just as obsessed with the Infinity Gauntlet as Thanos is! Okay, maybe it’s not that bad, but a wearable gauntlet bank was the first thing he bought at AwesomeCon last year, he wanted this mug as soon as he saw it, and he was interested in this oven mitt until it was recalled for safety reasons. As such, as soon as I saw these Infinity Gauntlet-inspired glow-in-the-dark rings, I immediately thought of him.
The rings, which are made by Jarvis Latteier, house tiny vials of tritium, a radioactive isotope that reacts with differing phosphor materials inside the vials to glow the various colors. According to Nerdist’s Dave Trumbore, the rings are safe to wear and, being a decent price, I have a feeling that C will be adding them to his collection soon!
5. Considering the fact that I was born in May 1985, I was likely just beginning to try out the words “Mama” and “Dada” when Voltron: Defender of the Universe went off the air. C, however, who is a few years older than me, remembers the show fondly and was super excited this morning when he realized that its reboot, Voltron: Legendary Defender, was now available to binge watch on Netflix. If, like me, you are unfamiliar with the show, this beginner’s guide by ScreenRant’s Matthew Dello Russo should help get you up to speed. The show’s official website also has a lot of information about the characters, the previous series, and what’s new, in case you want to know more!